On behalf of the American Legion, Welcome!

Veterans need not be alone in their battles for benefits and medical care. Veterans are often forced to wage war against the paperwork and bureaucracy of government in order to get medical care or benefits. Here's some good news: American Legion Service Officers (DSO) offer free advice and guidance for veterans who need to deal with the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA).

This directory provides contact telephone numbers and addresses for the service officers in your area. Direct all correspondence to Department Service Officer.

*** Separating personnel should ensure that all of the information (including awards, overseas time, campaigns, RE code, etc.) on the DD 214 is correct before signing. Uncorrected errors may cause problems in the future when applying for VA and other benefits. ***

Charles A. Conklin Post #28 Service Officers

Contact Information:
Hoyt Fonger (269)-203-6556
Garrett Veihl (616) 847-6950
Larry Lambert (616) 502-3325
email: post28serviceofficer@gmail.com Before you speak to a service officer, you should locate the following:

  • DD Form 214 *** (Issued at the time of separation) ***
  • Service Medical Records (Outpatient), dental records, entrance and separation examination reports
  • Inpatient Hospitalization Records (private or military)
  • Private Outpatient Medical Records (if applicable)
  • Personnel File
  • Line of Duty (LOD) investigation reports
  • Overseas or Temporary Duty (Travel) Orders


Important Links:

U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs

Grand Rapids Home for Veterans